Dates & Prices
Dates: 16th – 23rd May 2023 Confirmed departure
Price: £1,295 Full
Single Room Supplement: £150
Deposit: £150 per person
Price Includes: All meals, accommodation, ground transport, services of guides, holiday report and donation to Butterfly Conservation
Not Included: Flights, travel insurance, drinks and any other personal items.
Conservation Donation: Butterfly Conservation.
Leader: Dr Simon Spencer & David Moore
Group Size & Travel: Minimum of 4 and a maximum of 8 guests plus 2 leaders.
Grade: Gentle paced walks, often in mountainous terrain and in warm conditions
- Led by a first class team of lepidopterists and experienced leaders: Dr Simon Spencer (recently retired chair of Butterfly Conservation European Butterflies Group EBG) and David Moore.
- Enjoy an exciting exploration of the High Atlas mountains!
- Star species we’ll look for include Atlas Blue, Moroccan Orange-tip, Giant Grayling, Dark Giant Grayling, Moroccan Copper, Desert Orange Tip, Vaucher’s Heath, Moroccan Meadow Brown, Common Tiger Blue, African Babul Blue, Allard’s Silver-line, Donzel’s Silver-line, Lorquin’s Blue, Aetherie’s Fritillary and lots more!
- One centre holiday, in a comfortable berber style-inn, with pool & pleasant grounds to explore, based in Ouirgane
- Fine settled weather almost guaranteed, perfect for butterflies!
- Tour supports Butterfly Conservation
A brand new and exciting butterfly holiday in the Atlas Mountains of Morocco for a host of special species & endemics with Dr Simon Spencer & David Moore!
More details coming soon… This promises to be a very popular tour – we recommend booking early to avoid disappointment! All butterfly photos courtesy of Matt Rowlings www.eurobutterflies.com
More details coming soon…
This promises to be a very popular tour – we recommend booking early to avoid disappointment!
All butterfly photos courtesy of Matt Rowlings www.eurobutterflies.com
Day 1: Arrival and meet at Marrakech airport. Transfer to our hotel in Ouirgane. There may be time to check out the verdant hotel grounds in late afternoon/early evening prior to dinner.
Day 2: Azzaden Valley, east of Tessa Ouirgane. Follow the river bed on foot along the valley in an area where grazing is not permitted and foodplants may grow abnormally lush. Late afternoon, the area around the River Nfis, close to the hotel.
Day 3: Imlil. Park at the road-head village of Imlil and walk towards Tizi n’Tamatert (the col at 2,279 metres). Potential stops on the way there and back where habitat looks promising. Giant Grayling flies on the scree here.
Day 4: Oukaimeden. This is a ski resort at 2,300m and provides a unique, green landscape for this latitude. Again, potential to investigate likely looking areas on the way there and back. This is a good site for Moroccan Copper and Atlas Blue.
Day 5: Tizi n’Test. This is the col reached by car about half an hour’s drive south from the base at Ouirgane. Stops can be made wherever the habitat looks green and promising. Desert Orange Tip flies here along with Vaucher’s Heath and Moroccan Meadow Brown.
Day 6: A leisurely trip towards Amizmiz at 1,250m. There is the possibility to walk along the dry(ish) river bed and investigate the alfalfa fields. African Grass, Common Tiger and African Babul Blue are practically nailed-on here.
Day 7: Ourika Valley, towards Setti Fatma. Verdant riverside area with steep north facing slopes.
Day 8: Transfer to Marrakech airport for departure