Dates & Prices
Dates: Sunday 3rd December 2017
Price: £90 per person
Location: Isle of Sheppey
Price Includes: Full day exploring Sheppey with Richard Taylor-Jones (9am – approx 20 minutes after sunset) + pub lunch.
Not Included: Transport to/from Sheppey or between sites (all accessible by own transport with car park facilities) & alcoholic drinks.
Conservation Donation: 10% profits to either Elmley NNR or RSPB
Leader: Richard Taylor-Jones
Group Size: Minimum of 6 and a maximum of 12
- Rare & exlusive opportunity to spend the day with leading wildlife cameraman & TV presenter Richard Taylor-Jones
- Visit the Isle of Sheppey – one of the best raptor hotspots in the UK!
- Elmley National Nature Reserve,including private visit to Marsh Harrier roost site!
- Chance of many superb raptor species – Marsh Harrier, Merlin, Peregrine Falcon, Hen Harrier, Buzzard, Kestrel, Barn Owl etc
- Huge numbers of waders & wildfowl to enjoy too
- As featured on BBC Countryfile Winter Special
- Relaxed style and slow pace – perfect for enjoying the birds & being there in a wonderful location!
- Contribute towards conservation with a donation to a local wildlife charity
Experience the raptors & other birds of the Isle of Sheppey in the company of TV cameraman & presenter Richard Taylor-Jones!
Richard Taylor-Jones is a wildlife television presenter, film maker, cameraman and photographer. He regularly appears on BBC Countryfile, The One Show, Coast and Springwatch. He uses his expertise to capture images of some of the best of British Wildlife.
He first came to recognition with his “Cinematic Landscape Films” which he authored and shot for BBC Springwatch. These pieces were far more artistic and individual than the shows usual content and were widely appreciated and enjoyed by the viewing public, so Richard was commissioned to make them over several series.
Richard has been working in this field for almost 20 years and has an in-depth knowledge of both natural history and all forms of camerawork. He has worked with conservationists, members of the public and some of the industry’s biggest names. His experience and deep appreciation of Britain’s wilder landscapes and British wildlife make him the perfect host for some of our ‘British Wildlife Breaks’.
The Isle of Sheppey, just an hour from London, is probably the best place in the UK to watch raptors.
The day will start at Elmley Marshes National Nature Reserve where on a long walk of approximately 2-3 miles we hope to see Merlin, Marsh Harriers, Buzzard and Peregrines as well as huge numbers of waders and wildfowl.
We will stop for lunch before heading to a special Raptor Watch Point. Here anything could turn up! It’s a marsh Harrier hot spot but also Hen Harriers can appear too. Kestrels are almost guaranteed as is Barn Owl and if we’re really lucky the beautiful Short eared Owl may grace us with its presence too!
Our venue for lunch will be the lovely 16th Century Ferry House Inn. You can either choose to take lunch here or bring your own packed lunch.
To finish the day we will return to Elmley NNR to witness a Marsh Harrier roost as birds come in to settle in the reeds beds at the islands edge, backed by the factories of the North Kent Marshes.
We look forward to seeing you on Sheppey soon!
Meet & Greet: Arrival and meet Richard at Elmley National Nature Reserve
Plan for the day
- Walk for approximately 3 hours at Elmley
- Pub or packed lunch
- Drive to Raptor watch point (has its own car park so no walking)
- Visit Marsh Harrier roost site (short 15 minute walk from car park)
Departure: Goodbyes and departure
Craig D…I had an excellent day with Greenwings Holidays and Richard Taylor-Jones enjoying the raptors and other wildlife at Elmley. Highlights for me were the Crane at Capel Fleet, the Marsh Harriers and the excellent light we had in the morning! I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend one of their trips and hope to meet them all again soon.